This post may contain affiliate links. Affiliate links allow Fatgirlflow to earn commissions on products we recommend. All opinions are our own.
Here’s the thing, I’m fat… I’m pretty sure my blog title gave that one away. I do not care to flatter my curves or look slimmer. I want to look like me. And me is a fat person, who really wants to be comfy. Specifically, I want to be comfortable in a plus size jumpsuit. They’re like dresses but without chub rub, and that is some shit I am into to. With all of that said, I am also a fat person who is acutely aware of what people think I “should” be wearing, or what the “rules” to dressing a plus size body are. And oftentimes those rules leave me and my body out of really great trends because the rest of the world decided what an article of clothing “should” look like on a body without any fat people in mind.
Jumpsuits are one of those trends that you just don’t see on fat people. Which is bullshit. Part of that is a lack of representation, and part of that is a lack of understanding for dressing fat people’s bodies from manufacturers. So I decided to try my best at a little guide for buying jumpsuits (I’m using the Eshakti line as my example, but the suggestions apply across brands). Let’s do this…
- Buy one size up. If you have a large tummy like myself, you’re likely going to need some extra fabric in the midsection. Buying one size up will help that out a lot. Another option is to buy the “tall” version if it is available. I frequently buy tall clothing because I have a long torso and a lot of belly fat, which can some times be difficult to find shirts long enough for.
- Be considerate of your undies. I don’t wear spanx, or any kind of control-type panties, however when I am wearing a jumpsuit it is of the utmost importance that you protect your nether regions from any inevitable riding up the outfit may do. For me, this is a comfort thing. I don’t mind the camel-toe look so much as I do not enjoy the feeling. So I wear high waist briefs. It’s also very difficult to adjust your underwear in a jumpsuit so you want to make sure you’re wearing ones that stay in place.
- Break up the jumpsuit with an accessory. It doesn’t have to be anything wild or fancy, a simple belt worn in a comfortable position can help to define your body shape. You can also wear a body chain like I did in this post!
- Measure from the widest part of you. When ordering a jumpsuit it’s super important that you order it based on your largest measurement.
- And of course, only wear things you love and think are super cool on your body. I feel like a bad ass in jumpsuits whenever I wear them, so I’m going to keep rocking them. All trends are for all bodies. Even if you haven’t seen your own body demonstrated wearing something that doesn’t mean you’re not “supposed” to be wearing it. You’ve got this amazing body, dress it however the fuck you want!